Monday 11 June 2007

The dark side of the force


I am no perfect person (despite many common misconceptions). People often believe that because I do paath (prayers) and have saroop (dastaar, panj kakkars) that I am perfect. What people don't seem to understand is that these are simply small steps we make to try to better ourselves...More important than looks etc is seva (selfless service), simran (meditation on the name of God- Waheguru) and defeating the 5 evils within ourselves...kaam (lust), krodh (anger), lobh (greed), moh (attachment) and ahankaar (ego). I have serious anger problems. For the past six months (since a major chnage in my life) my anger has gotten worse and is harder to control. There are no excuses for this, I know. I believe that if we fight our vices we will get better, the harder you fight yourself the faster you can get closer to Waheguru.


siqgur dieAwl ikrpwl Bytq hry kwmu k®oDu loBu mwirAw ]sathigur dhaeiaal kirapaal bhaettath harae kaam krodhh lobh maariaa

Through the Kind and Compassionate True Guru, I have met the Lord; I have conquered sexual desire, anger and greed.


I fought (verbally) with my brother Shaan today. Not good. I already have a bad relationship with him and by fighting it only makes things worse. Over something so silly, I ruined my entire day because I could not control my anger...I had a good law exam, good economics lessons, was getting on well with friends and the rest of my family etc etc. It does not matter if Shaan was in the wrong...by fighting I became just as bad as him, if not worse. This is why Guru Ji emphasises so much for us to conquer our evils...I realised this properly today. You know what? By smiling and saying 'have it your way' or 'sorry' you can fight and beat that anger to a pulp. Yeah, it's hard (no way am I gonna say it's easy) but what are you losing? Pride? Arrogance? Ego? Hate? What? I think that by losing these things you gain a heck of a lot.....more!


kwmu k®oDu psirAw sMswry Awie jwie duKu pwvixAw ]2]kaam krodhh pasariaa sa(n)saarae aae jaae dhukh paavaniaa 2

Sexual desire and anger are diffused throughout the universe. Coming and going, people suffer in pain. 2

No comments: